Specifications for interlocking concrete pavers
PAVERART uses concrete pavers for both artwork designs and corresponding field pavers. We only purchase concrete pavers from reputable, high-quality paving manufacturers who have passed our inspection and testing process. Our colored pavers are not painted – they are produced for us through a special pigmentation process which provides color through the top wear layer of the paver (normally 1/4” to 1/2”). We utilize various shapes and sizes of pavers for our artwork, from more traditional stone sizes of 4 inches by 8 inches to non-standard 12 inch by 12 inch and 16 inch by 16 inch square tiles. For nonvehicular applications, we use pavers which are 2 3/8 inches thick, while for heavy vehicular traffic projects we will incorporate pavers which are 3 1/8 inches thick. If more information is required on the specific paver type or paver manufacturer utilized for your project, please call Paverart at 856.783.7000.
- All pavers shall have a minimum compressive strength of 8,000 PSI and a maximum absorption of 5% when tested in accordance with ASTM C-140. All pavers will meet or exceed the requirements of ASTM C-936.
- Materials used to manufacture interlocking concrete paving stones shall conform to the following:
- Cement – ASTM C-150 Portland Cement Type 1
- Aggregates – ASTM C-33 (washed, graded sand and limestone, no expanded shale or lightweight aggregate)
Base/Bedding Course Requirements
- The project base should be designed and constructed in accordance with ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute) TEK Bulletin 2.
- The final base elevations shall not deviate more than 3/8 inch under a 10 feet straight edge.
- The bedding course shall be screeded loose to a uniform thickness of 3/4 inch to 1 ½ inches, taking care that moisture content remains constant and the density is loose and constant until interlocking paving stones are laid and compacted.
FOR CERTAIN PAVERART DESIGNS, A PLATE TAMPER OR COMPACTOR CANNOT BE USED AFTER PAVERS HAVE BEEN LAID!! PLEASE CONSULT YOUR PAVERART REPRESENTATIVE FOR FURTHER DETAIL AND INSTRUCTIONS.
FOR ADDITIONAL SPECIFICATIONS ON INSTALLATION OF INTERLOCKING CONCRETE PAVING STONES, PLEASE FOLLOW ICPI GUIDELINES.
Note: Information for the specification data included in this presentation was excerpted from the specification sheets provided by the manufacturers which Paverart utilizes. February 2004